Brief Chronicle of the Main Events
1918 – 1925. The work of the Commission on preservation of the historical and artistic treasures of the Trinity-St. Sergius Lavra - reception, inventory, research and determination of the artistic value of the Lavra treasures;
- investigation, registration and protection of the monuments of culture in the town and in the attaching district;
- organization of the restoration of painting, embroidery, architecture.
April 20, 1920 – Decree of the CPC” On turning the historical and artistic treasures of the Trinity-St. Sergius Lavra into a museum”
1920 – 1929 – The Sergiev History and Art Museum was subordinated to the RSFSR Narkompros (Glavnauka administration, department on the problems of museums and preservation of the monuments).
The exposition presented a complex of the displays.
The Museum included the following sections:
I. Ancient Depository.
II. History and Art Department with exhibitions:
1. Applied Art of the 14th – 15th cc.
2. Old Russian Books
3. Old Russian painting with an icon-painting workshop
4. Embroidery and Textiles
5. Iconography of the Trinity-St. Sergius Lavra
7. The Trinity and Assumption Cathedrals
III. Department of History and Everyday Life with exhibitions:
1. The Tsar Palace (tsar everyday life)
2. Metropolitan Chambers (everyday life of higher clergy)
3. Bethany Branch (Metropolitan Filaret chambers and the Church of Transfiguration)
4. Gethsemane Branch (Metropolitan Filaret chambers and the Church from the village of Podsosenye)
1929. Reorganization of the Museum in the Sergiev (since 1930 – Zagorsk) State History and Art , Everyday Life and Anti-Religious Museum. The Gethsemane and Bethany Branches were closed. History and Revolution and Anti-Religious Departments were opened. In connection with the reorganization some unique items from the former Lavra collection passed to other museums.
1929 – 1939. The Museum was in charge of the region MONO (a museum department) and Department on affairs of arts at the MOSCOW REGION EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE..
1930. The Museum included the collections of the Local History Museum presenting local toys, woodcarving, lacquer painting and starting to form collections of Russian folk art and artistic handicrafts.
1930. The Museum acquired a large collection of Professor A.A. Aleksandrov including painting, drawing, porcelain, and glass of the XVII - XIX centuries.
1939. The Scientific Council of the Museum was founded..
1939. Is approved the General plan of restoration works till 1943 with the estimate of 6 million roubles was adopted.
1940. By the Decision of the Council of People Commissars of the RSFSR the whole complex of the Zagorsk Museum was declared a reserve. At the same time the status of history and art was restored.
1940 - 1949 - The Museum was in charge of the Department on arts of the Council of People Commissars (CPC) of the RSFSR (since 1946 - Committee on arts of the Council of Ministers of the RSFSR).
1941. By the resolution of the RSFSR CPC the collection of the Moscow Artistic Handicrafts Museum passed to the Zagorsk History and Art Museum-Reserve..
they had finally determined the structure of the Museum collections representing history to the Trinity-St. Sergius Monastery;
-- Old Russian art of the XIV-XVII centuries;
-- Russian art of the 18 - the beginnings of the 20th centuries;
-- Folk art of the 18th - the beginnings of 20th centuries;
–- Handicrafts and applied art of the 20th century.
Since 1946 till 1949
according to the several Resolutions of the USSR Council of Ministers the Museum passed all churches (except the Church of SS. Zosima and Savatty), a larger part of the civic and fortress buildings, a considerable part of icons, service books and textiles to the Moscow Patriarchy
1949 – 1954 – The Museum was in charge of the Committee on arts of the USSR Ministry of Culture.
1954 – 1956. The Museum was in charge of the Museum Department of the RSFSR Ministry of Culture.
In 1956 the Museum became subordinated to the Moscow Region Department of Culture (now the Ministry of Culture of the Moscow Region).
1958. The beginning of the publication of “Soobshcheniya Zagorskogo muzeya”. Active publishing was resumed..
1963. The complex plan of the restoration of the Trinity-St. Sergius Lavra was worked out by V.I. Baldin and A.G. Ustinov.
1969. The Zagorsk Museum was included in the tour “Golden Ring of Russia”.
1969. The Conference dedicated to the 100th jubilee of V.I. Lenin. Reports of the results of work in all spheres of the Museum work in 1950s – 1960s.
Early 1970s. The area of 4. 600 sq. m. presented the system of the exhibitions:
-- “History of the Trinity-St. Sergius Lavra”;
-- “Necropolis of the Trinity-St. Sergius Lavra”;
-- “Architectural Ensemble of the Trinity-St. Sergius Lavra and Methods of its Restoration”;
-- “Old Russian Painting of the 14th – 17th cc”;
-- “Old Russian Applied Art of the 14th – 17th cc”;
-- “Russian Art of the 18th – Early 20th cc”;
-- “Russian Folk Art of the 18th – Early 20th cc.”;
-- “Contemporary Applied and Decorative Art”.
Since 1980s the archeological, local history and local fine art collections, so far represented by separate groups of works, have been actively supplemented.
1990. The publication of “Soobshcheniya Sergievo- Posadskogo Muzeya” was resumed.
1992. The Museum was referred to the units of special value in the national cultural heritage by resolution N 584-rp of the RF President and the Chairman of the Supreme Soviet of 15.10. 1992. The same resolution determined the gradual transfer of the museum from the territory of the Trinity-St. Sergius Lavra.
1993. The Architectural ensemble of the Trinity-St. Sergius Lavra was inscribed on the UNESCO List of the cultural heritage.
1997. The International conference “The Stone Age of the European Plains”.
Since 1998 the biannual International Conference “The Trinity-St. Sergius Lavra in History, Culture and Spiritual Life of Russia” have been organized.
2001 – 2005. The transfer of the main part of the collections from the territory of the Trinity-St. Sergius Lavra and their housing:
-- in the Sacristy (on the territory of the Trinity-St. Sergius Lavra – “The Sacristy of the Trinity-St. Sergius Lavra of the 14th – 19th century”;
-- in the historical and architectural complex “Konny Dvor” – “The Ancient Past of the Sergiev Posad Land”, “The Trinity-St. Sergius Lavra: Architectural Ensemble, Pages of History”, “Applied and Decorative Art of the 18th – 21th century (open depositories);
-- in the Main Building (Krasnaya Armiya Prospect, 144) – exhibitions of contemporary art;
-- in the Local History Department in Ovrazhny per. 9a – a complex of exhibitions on history and culture of the Sergiev Posad Land of the 20th century.
2002. The Exhibition and Publication Project “The Trinity-St. Sergius Lavra and Russian Tsars: Rarities and Artistic Treasures”.
2005. Celebrations of the 85th jubilee of the Museum.
2008 - Opening of a constant exposition of Russian folk art "The World of Russian Village".
2008 - Participation of a museum in an exhibition «Princess Maria Tenisheva in the Silver age mirror», spent in the Tretyakov Gallery.
2009 - Participation of a museum in VIII church-public exhibition-forum «Orthodox Russia».
2009 - The Edition of the fundamental book "Sergiev Posad. A sight through centuries". Sergiev Posad, 2009.
2010-2012 - Participation of a museum in an exhibition «Sacred Russia. Russian art since the most ancient times till Peter the Great epoch», Paris, the Louvre, Moscow, State Tretyakov Gallery, museums of the Russian Federation (May - September 2011); St. Petersburg, State Russian Museum, Russian Museums (14.08.11 - 21.01.2012).
- 2010 – 90th Anniversary of the Sergiev Posad Museum-Reserve (April, 20).
- 2011 – Conference “Culture and Tourism. Together for Europe”. Poland, Gniezno.
- 2012 – 8th International Conference of the European Archeological Associations. Finland, Helsinki.
- 2013 – Publication “Vystupivshy iz granits vremeni... Prepodobny Sergy Radonezhsky v izbrannykh sochineniyakh i proizvedeniyakh iskustva XIV - nachala XX v. [“Outside the time boundaries ... Venerable Sergius of Radonezh in selected books and works of art of the 14th - early 20th century.] (selections - S.V. Nikolayeva, Sergiev Posad, 2013).
- 2013 – Social cultural and educational program “People’s University” for veterans and pensioners of the Sergiev Posad district - winner of the Competition“Our Moscow Region”in nomination “Accessible Environment” , diploma of 1 degree of the Moscow Region Governor A. Yu. Vorobjev.
- 2013 – Exhibition “Metropolitan Platon (Levshin). 1737 - 1812. For 200th Commemoration”, opened from 16.11. 2012 till 23.04. 2013, awarded with a Diploma of the All-Russian historical and literary price “Alexander Nevsky”in nomination “Spiritual Ascetic” for the contribution in preservation of historical heritage of Russia and memory of its heroes; the project authors - L.A. Shitova and O.I. Zaritskaya.· 2014. - Exhibition “And the Candle Has Not Faded Away ... “. For the 700th
Anniversary of Venerable Sergius of Radonezh.
- 2014 – Publications: “V pokhvalu prepodobnomu Sergiyu”[In praise of St. Sergius”]. M.: Leto, 2014; Album-catalogue “Prepodobny Sergy Radonezhsky. Obraz prostoty, pravdy, svyatosti. Ikonografiya XV - XX veka”. [ In praise of St. Sergius. The image of austerity, truth, sanctity. Iconography of the 15th - 20th century ”. M.: Leto, 2014 and Catalogue of the exhibition “And the Candle Has Not Faded Away . . . “.
- 2014 – 9th International Scientific Conference “The Trinity-St. Sergius Lavra in history, culture and spiritual life of Russia: Spiritual serving the Fatherland”.
- 2015 – 95th Anniversary of the Sergiev Posad Museum-Reserve (April, 20).